This theatre was established following a workshop on (developing alternative spaces) organized by The Arab Theatre Training Center, ATTC in cooperation with the Young Arab Theater Fund and the Amman International Theatre Festival in 2002.
Al Balad Theater 2005 – present
Residing in the heart of down town Amman, Al Balad theatre is a multi-purpose artistic and community space. It was established by renovating an old cinema, which was built in the 1940’s. The space aims to promote young artists from Jordan and the region by presenting their works, providing rehearsal space, and contributing to strengthening the cultural movement in Jordan through interaction and cooperation with all performing art groups, NGOs, and individuals, public and private, in Jordan, the region, and the world, Al Balad theatre carries out many activities such as:
- organizing theatre, dance, and music performances as well as film and video screenings.
- hosting training workshops in the performing arts.
- promoting independent artistic and cultural production and exchange.
Since it’s opening in February 2005, Al-Balad Theater has hosted local, regional and international events to expose, educate and raise awareness of thousands of Jordanian residents and numerous visitors from across the region and beyond.
What are Al Balad Theatre’s aims and beliefs?
- aim to reach out to a diverse audience, regardless of background, social and/or financial status, and/or place of residence.
- believe that art is for all; and culture is a right that we officially take the responsibility of delivering to the widest range of audience possible.
- believe in the necessity of cultural exchange among civilizations, societies & individual to sustain healthy, conscious growth & human responsibility towards arts, humanity, society & world.
Al Balad Theater also presents yearly:
- Over 40 independent concerts by local, regional & international groups.
- Over 15 theater & Dance performances
- Over 60 reservations for local & international NGOs
- Over 5 visual art exhibitions
- It is the creative space that promotes independent art projects & productions. It also funds some of the distinguished regional & local musical projects when possible.
- It is the place where the great Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish could meet his fans & sign his books.
- It presented many Arab stars to the Jordanian audience for the 1st time.